Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Year 3 coming at me

That title seems ludicrous. It really feels like I just got to Korea. Where has the time gone? I'm amazed that I can say I'm starting year 3.

Yes, I like it here. Yes, it's challenging still but getting more and more familiar even with things being in a foreign language. Yes, I get homesick- terrible homesick sometimes.

My students are great; small classes but what teacher is going to be griping about that?
I have four students this year; had five last year who were fantastic. I'm designating these four this year as the Fab Four. Maybe I'll introduce them to a Beatles song here or there. Last year's class had a girl who was really into the Beach Boys.





This year I'm living in a smaller apartment, about 2 rooms in all. It's a step down from what I had with a roommate, but it's a shorter commute to school.
Thankfully, I have air-conditioning and can close a door and build my own little ice cube.

I started going to an international Baptist church this past February which is a pretty diverse group of backgrounds. Most are English teachers or international school teachers, so I'm in good company there.  Our pastor is a southerner too, from Georgia; I've even met some other Arkansans there! A little bit of the south in South Korea.

Since I've been back in Korea, I've been meditating on Colossians 1 quite a bit. There is a gold mine of truth in there in just the first chapter as Paul declares CHRIST to be all and the initiator and instigator of their salvation. This book has been precious to me since the year I spent in college under Jill Attebery as a mentor. She brought several of us into her home each week and we dissected and digested the book. I will never get over her amazement and speechlessness at the verses in chapter 2 that says



Reminds me of a Josh Wilson song with the line "trying to communicate eternity is like trying to put the ocean in a cup"
I came across this passage tonight and could vividly see and shared Jill's exclamation all over again.
What an amazing God we get the privilege to serve!

Looking forward to what's to come in year 3!







No comments:

Post a Comment